Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A Very Merry Unbirthday to You, Baby!

It was on this exact day in my last pregnancy that I gave birth to Simon. I was 29 weeks +2 days pregnant - and then, suddenly, a mother! (Read more about that here.)
Pappa's first peek at Simon!
That experience has made this pregnancy very different from my last. When I was pregnant with Simon, I had an easy pregnancy and never thought about what it might be like to have a premature baby. I thought all the normal new mama thoughts like, "Will I ever sleep again?" or "I hope breastfeeding goes well." But, for some reason, Simon had to get out and so he made his grand entrance nearly 11 weeks early.

With this pregnancy, it's hard not to think about my last pregnancy. I don't want to go into preterm labor again. I want a "normal" birthing experience. As a result, I have been forced to see a doctor (as opposed to a midwife) throughout my whole pregnancy and go through more tests and scans. As they don't know why I delivered early, all they can do is watch and see if they find any signs of preterm labor.

Emotionally, it has forced me to relive Simon's early birth and all it's drama. I have not thought back on it much, because I was always looking forward and Simon did so well. But more than 3 years later I am reflecting on it again, and do not want to relive any of it with #2.

I am here today to say that I have never been this pregnant and NOT in labor. It have to say it feels REALLY good.
29 weeks + 2 days!
From this day on, it's all icing on the cake. Of course that may sound strange, as it is significantly better for the baby to stay in that cozy little womb until 37-40+ weeks, but my experiences have given me a different, slightly messed up, perspective. So I am going to take each day as they come, but I am hoping for many more.

I hope she stays tucked in there until at least 37 weeks. That also means that I get to switch my healthcare back to a midwife, which is what I prefer. And go home immediately after birth, with a new sweet baby.

And I know it's too early to say, but here are some other things that I hope to experience:
  • A 3rd trimester - including that big baby bump!
  • Anticipating the arrival of the baby
  • Holding my baby immediately after birth (maybe catch her?!?)
  • Bringing my baby HOME after birth - and the shock and awe of it all
So stay tucked in there, little baby! Let's hold out for a while longer - it's best for all of us.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats girl. You seem to be in a really good place physically and emotionally for this pregnancy. Sending you all sorts of good vibes. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kelli! things seem to be going really well. :)

      Delete
  2. Dear mom of Simon, i stumbled upon your blog when i was searching for playgrounds suitable for children in Dusseldorf area. We're having a family trip there tomorrow, with 5 children so I was looking for some parks.Google is marvelous.Anyway, your blogs are really great and I wish you all the best, especially with your pregnancy!. I'm from Holland and I live in the center, I saw that you live in Amsterdam now? That's amazing! What an adventurous bunch you must be.
    All the best,
    Anne Van der Poel from Tiel

    ReplyDelete